Saturday, January 19, 2013

Orientation!

This post is a little late but last weekend AFS held an orientation for all people leaving soon to go study abroad! There were three of us. One girl is going to Russia and one guy is going to France, living near the Alps. They're both leaving on Wednesday, the 23rd of January! I spoke with both of them about the language... Neither of them have a large grasp on it. The girl speaks a little bit of Russian and the guy is in the same situation as me... 2 years of the language, and not very good conversational skills in the foreign speech.
Anyway, at the orientation they covered a lot of different things. They spoke about the background of AFS, and they actually have us a quiz on what we knew! I guess on pretty much everything as I knew hardly anything on the subject. I knew if stood for the American Field Service, which was started during one of the World Wars... There's so much to the organization that I'm not going to bore you with the details.
They also covered things about how to act when you arrive, and to remember to respect the lifestyle of the family. They told us the three golden rules:
• no driving, no matter what, or you will be sent home
• no drugs (obey the laws of your country)
• no hitchhiking
They spoke about what is most noticeable about the culture when you first arrive, and how it's like an iceberg... There's always more to the culture and you ind out more, the longer you stay. Some of the more noticeable aspects would be the music, food, and religion. Some things that are less noticeable would include their humor, the family roles, and the lifestyle.
AFS told us some other things but really, the biggest thing that I'm worried about would be the language, an fitting in. I hope I'm able to make friends easily and to be able to come back from my trip, fully acquired with the ability to speak Spanish.
My Spanish teacher wants me to try and Skype my class... To speak some Spanish with them! I'm excited but afraid that ill be lacking on the Spanish! The expectations are killing me! But I'm really gonna try. I'm promising myself not to get caught up on the language and just embrace the school that I attend, the friends that I make, and hopefully, eventually the Spanish will come too.

I must take lots of pictures also!
3 weeks left! Then I leave for the "happiest place on earth"! LETS DO THIS 😁😄

No comments:

Post a Comment